Popular one meal a day diet is a diet plan that claims to help in losing weight through intermittent fasting. In this diet plan, the person eats only one meal a day, usually the dinner, and avoids any other calories throughout the day.
Although a lot of people have lost weight through this diet plan, the risks may outweigh the benefits.
What is one meal a day diet plan?
It is a weight loss plan in which a person to eat only one meal per day. The one meal a day diet plan utilizes a type of fragmentary fasting referred to as 23:1,i.e a person spends 23 hours of the day for fasting, and just 1 hour a day for eating, drinking and consuming calories.
People usually break their fast when they eat dinner, and then once again resume fasting until the following evening.
What do people eat the one meal a day diet plan?
As such, there is no fixed version of the one meal a day diet. Some version suggests eating healthful, nutrient-rich diet, however, most versions of the diet let people eat anything they want during their single meal.
Other than rapid weight loss there are numerous other benefits to eating this way.
Other professing benefits include:
- It’s easy to follow since the person does not count calories
- There are no “cheat days” since there are no foods considered off-limits.
Several studies have been conducted to know the effects of intermittent fasting. But they’re, mostly carried out on men, so very less is known about the effects of intermittent fasting on women.
The effects of intermittent fasting in women are different from that of men because of women’s hormonal cycles. The nutritional requirement in women is also different in comparison to men since they require more iron, which can not be fulfilled while fasting.
The studies done on intermittent fasting show the following benefits:
- It can help in reducing the blood sugar levels and weight in people with type 2 diabetes.
- It can positively affect the eating and sleeping cycles of obese people increasing their average lifespan.
- It benefits the cardiac system and improves memory.
Despite having several benefits from intermittent fasting and the one meal a day diet, there also several risks as well.
Some of the daily risks include:
- Becoming extremely hungry
- Inability to concentrate
- Not a good option for people with hypoglycemia since they need to eat throughout the day at a regular interval to avoid any serious side effects.
- One study says that such fasting raises LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) increasing the risks of heart disease and stroke.
- Raises the risk of binge eating disorder.
- Studies also revealed that intermittent fasting diet does not support any more weight loss as compared to those who simply reduced the number of calories they ate each day.
Healthy weight loss options
While the one meal a day diet plan may look quite fascinating to most people who quickly want to lose weight but there are various other, less extreme methods to lose weight safely and healthily.
Anyone interested in losing weight can consider one of the following safer methods to lose some pounds. These include:
- Regular exercise: Do at least 150 minutes of cardiovascular exercise, like running or aerobics, every week.
- Maintain a food diary: Maintaining a diary can help in gaining an insight into their food consumption time and type of food.
- Get support: For motivation and guidance try getting support from your loved ones and fellow dieter.
- Eat balanced, and a nutritious diet: Dieter should eat ample of fruits and vegetables and limit the intake of high-calorie junk food.
- Consult your doctor: A doctor will check for underlying medical conditions, like thyroid problems, which a major cause of weight gain in most cases.
Keep in mind that your diet and lifestyle play an important role in gaining a control over the weight. Hence people should start by assembling small, sustainable changes in their daily diet and lifestyle.And if anyone has any underlying medical condition then its always best to consult your doctor before implementing any method for weight loss.